Tuesday July 24, 2018
By Aiden Graw
FOOTBALL UPDATES: MARTIAL WANTS MOVE AWAY FROM UNITED
Jose Mourinho is open to selling Anthony Martial if Manchester United receive an appropriate offer this summer.
Martial’s agent Philippe Lamboley stressed last month the Frenchman wants to leave the club but Mourinho has had to start Martial in United’s pre-season friendlies against Club America and San Jose Earthquakes in the absence of World Cup participants Romelu Lukaku and Marcus Rashford.
Despite the United hierarchy’s preference to keep a forward they invested up to £58million in back in 2015, Mourinho has no interest in retaining players who openly want to leave and has previously clarified he would sanction sales if United receive appropriate offers from suitable clubs. Bayern Munich have shown interest in Martial and United would have 22 days after the Premier League window shuts to offload the France international to an overseas team.
The Premier League transfer window closes on August 9 and the MEN previously reported United rebuffed an enquiry from Tottenham for Martial in June. United will trigger the one-year extension in Martial’s contract to tie him to Old Trafford until 2020 if they keep him beyond the Fifa transfer deadline of August 31.
Mourinho rebuked Lamboley in December 2016 for talking up a possible mid-season loan move to Sevilla and United will not allow an agent to dictate their transfer business. Mourinho’s openness to jettisoning Martial could hasten a move for a forward amid interest in Willian and Gareth Bale.
The Martial situation is complicated by United’s struggles to sign an attacker in the transfer window. Should they fail to reinforce their frontline before August 9, a Martial sale to a foreign club would leave United under-resourced up front. Rashford, Lukaku, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata and Alexis Sanchez are United’s only other senior attackers.
HARRY MAGUIRE WANTED AT LEICESTER BY CLAUDE PUEL AMID MANCHESTER UNITED LINKS
Leicester boss Claude Puel says Harry Maguire must remain at the King Power Stadium, amid reported interest from Manchester United.
United boss Jose Mourinho is understood to be keen on bolstering his defensive options and has been linked with making a bid for Maguire, with the Foxes heard to want as much as £50m.
Maguire played a key role in England’s most successful World Cup campaign in 28 years in Russia, leading to former team-mate Riyad Mahrez saying he deserves to play at a higher level.
However, Mahrez’s former boss Puel is in disagreement, saying: “It is important for Maguire to continue for Leicester.
Maguire’s team-mate Demarai Gray anticipates the England international will be kicking off the Premier League season alongside him – they play Manchester United on August 10 IN THE Premier League.
MK FOOTBALL TRANSFER PAPER TALK
- Chelsea will refuse to do business with Barcelona unless they pay a whopping £70m for Willian.
- Fulham have made a £26m bid for Real Sociedad’s Willian Jose as an alternative to Aleksandar Mitrovic.
- Arsenal are attempting to reach a cut-price deal for Sevilla midfielder Steven Nzonzi after a busy window so far which has seen Unai Emery splash out nearly £70m.
- Wigan Warriors fitness guru Mark Bitcon is set to join brother Simon on Manchester City’s staff.
- Wolves hope to complete a double deal this week, adding Celta Vigo left-back Jonny Castro and Monaco midfielder Joao Moutinho to their squad.
- For more sports updates, Email me: email@example.com
- Thierry Henry has agreed to become Aston Villa’s new manager after speaking with the club’s new owners.
- Southampton manager Mark Hughes will have to offload players before he can press ahead for any incoming deals, including one for Serbia star Filip Kostic.
- Crystal Palace flop Jaroslaw Jach is set to leave for Turkish side Caykur Rizespor after failing to make an appearance since his arrival at Selhurst Park. Ten players are set to leave Liverpool in Jurgen Klopp’s purge with Loris Karius and Danny Ings among those headed for a mass Anfield exodus.
- West Brom are set to sign young Leicester winger Harvey Barnes on a season-long loan.
- Swansea are keen on Sheffield Wednesday forward Fernando Forestieri, who has also attracted interest from Fulham.
- Newcastle United have held talks with Deportivo La Coruna over a £3.5m deal for Switzerland defender Fabian Schar.
- Jose Mourinho will only consider selling Anthony Martial for the right fee, with the Manchester United manager preferring that the Frenchman move to a club outside the Premier League rather than to a direct rival.
- Leicester have had talks about signing Swansea forward Jordan Ayew, whose brother Andre is closing on a loan move to Fenerbahce.
- Paris Saint-Germain are keen on Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen, although the Premier League club remain hopeful he will sign an extension to his contract, which expires next summer.
- Elseid Hysaj could follow Maurizio Sarri and Jorginho to Chelsea, his agent has confirmed.
Source: www.mknewslink.com a greater western Uganda news website