Censure motions are provided for by the National Constitution and Local Government Act. Censures are solutions to some contentious issues. However, they may not be best solutions to the resolutions of conflicts due to the observations as below.
- Invisible hand political motivated censures. Quite often, censures have been politically motivated by invisible hands. The immediate outcome is the success of the petitioners.
The petitioners win censure motions but die by their win in the process. Look at the censure by Mitooma Councilors. How many returned to the council after winning a censure motion against the Chairman, Mr Benon Karyeija? Check for other similar examples and the list may be endless.
- Petitioners end up defendants. Because of invisible hand, petitioners some times over ride and bye pass some legal procedures. The defendants petition courts of law. Petitioners end up as defendants in courts and have largely lost such petitions against them. They may not pay legal damages, but payment of legal damages will in one way or the other affect censure petition movers like over stretched expenditure of councils income which may impact on censure petition movers.
- Moral, Spiritual and public reputation degradation. In the event of invisible hand in censures, petitioners loose public confidence. They only eat the bait and loose the fish. Use Good News Bible and read chapters and verse below. Proverbs: 23:23, 28: verses: 6, 8,11,15,18. Chapter 29: verses, 14, 16, 18 & 23.
- Politics of swallow-bility verse development. How much time, resources, mind and planning are invested in the politics of swallow-bility. If mediation was taken as way forward to the amicable settlement of the standoff, such time, resources, mind and planning would add value to the development.
- Best way to go. Read Matthew 5: 25. Reconciliation and dialogue is the best way to go. Mahatim Ghandi believed that an eye for an eye, the world would soon be blind. Philly Bongole Lutaya believed that,” today it is me, tomorrow is someone else” could be U, your child in case you bequeath him / her Sente zekibi as the singer sings or you relatives.
- In conclusion, I believe an ingredient of sense may be seen before the censure motion is moved or recalled if already moved. Best wishes to each side. Truth will never be hidden from time. The devil which blind folds the mind and eyes should be crucified for Political sanity and justice to prevail over evil. Otherwise, justice which survives longer than injustice will judge one side wrong as history is made.
Ahabwe Rukira Elly
The writer is a former Bushenyi- Ishaka Municipality Parliamentary Candidate (2021).
www.mknewslink.com a greater western Uganda news website