WOMAN IN RUBANDA DIES AFTER TAKING POISONED BUSHERA
By Ambrose Kweronda
Territorial police in Rubanda are investigating circumstances under which a 55 years old woman died after she allegedly took bushera that was contaminated.
The Kigezi Region police spokesperson identified the deceased as Vastina Twakire of Rwondo village Shebeya parish Hamurwa sub county Rubanda district.
Maate told journalists today that on the 25/03/2023 a group of about 30 women had a group meeting in the home of Jesca Baremereirwe where they prepared a local sorghum drink commonly known as obushera which they took at around 02:00pm and after which they went to their homes.
During the night, they fell sick, vomited and had diarrhea, in the following morning many were taken to Hamurwa health centre iv and among the patients was the deceased Twakire Vastina.
Maate said that on 27/02/2023, the deceased condition worsened and was transferred to Rugarama hospital in Kabale municipality, from where she died in the morning of yesterday 28/03/2023.
A team of police officers visited the scene, body was taken for post-mortem at Kabale referral hospital mortuary and police surgeon had samples of internal body parts obtained for further testing at GAL and statements taken free of other patients while Inquiries ongoing.
The Police Spokesperson notes that case of death by food poisoning was registered at Rubanda police station under reference number DEF: 06/2023.