By Allan Mugabe
The Inspector General of Police, Martin Okoth Ochola rushed to Queen Elizabeth National Park as investigations into the kidnap of an American tourist and her driver intensify.
On Tuesday evening, four unknown gunmen attacked a vehicle belonging to Wild frontiers before kidnapping the driver, Paul Milenge and Kimbley Sue Endecoot, 35, an American tourist while on an evening drive on Edward track between Katoke gate and the Wilderness Camp in Kanungu district.
Deputy police spokesperson, Polly Namaye yesterday told www.mknewslink.com that Ochola had rushed to the area to check on the progress of the operation.
The operation is ongoing and the IGP has joined the teams in Kanungu,Namaye told our reporter on Thursday.
Police on Wednesday said that the border between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo in Queen Elizabeth National Park had been sealed off as the hunt for the attackers intensified.
We want to inform the public and all visitors in the country that the joint security teams have cut off all exit areas on the border between DRC and Uganda in search for the victims since the park is along the border,Namaye told journalists on Wednesday.
According to reports, the kidnappers are asking for a ransom of $500,000, equivalent to about Shs1.9 Billion in order to release the hostages. Together with the two kidnapped individuals, were other two tourists, Mr. Julius Martin and his partner Barbel who were left in the tourist van unharmed though the kidnappers took away the car keys.
The chairperson of Kihihi Sub-County where the incident happened, Mr. Nelson Natukunda urged the government to intensify security at the border to stop the militia from DR Congo crossing into Uganda.
He added that such militia should be stopped from accessing places like Queen Elizabeth National Park where they have continuously committed crimes against tourist and other Ugandans.
www.mknewslink.com a greater western Uganda news website