By www.mknewslink.com reporter
Journalist Charles Etukuri has finally been released, his employer has confirmed. New Vision through their official twitter handle announced the release of Etukuri.
Etukuri was abducted last week from his work station by men dressed in military fatigues and dumped into a car before being driven to an unknown destination.
It was not yet clear why the journalist was abducted but his employer believes the trouble stems from the various stories he has been writing about recent murders in high profile city hotels.
By time of release, the high court-civil division had issued orders against the security minister Lt. Gen Henry Tumukunde and the Director General Internal Security Organisation (ISO) Col. Kaka Bagyenda to produce new vision reporter Charles Etukuri whether dead or alive by February 26 afternoon.
Justice Lydia Mugambe issued the orders saying; “Habeas corpus orders are issued against the second respondent the Director General ISO and the minister of security Lt. Gen Henry Tumukunde.”
New vision applied seeking the orders in relation to Charles Etukuri who was arrested on February 13, 2018.
While submitting his application before high court judge Lydia Mugambe, the New Vision lawyer, Tony Kirabira told court that it was established that the applicant is being detained by ISO and that implies that he is in the custody of the Director General of ISO.
“With that back ground it is our prayer that the honorable court be pleased to grant the orders being prayed for,” Kirabira said.
Kirabira also informed court that the continued detention is deliberate attempt not only to infringe his client’s personal liberty under article 23 of the constitution but also an attempt to curtail freedom of the press and media.
SOURCE: www.mknewslink.com, a greater western Uganda news website.