A one and half year-old baby Afuzan Kiwewa has died and property worth millions of shillings destroyed when fire gutted a house along Commercial Street in Masindi Town this afternoon.
According to Aza Segujja, daughter to Haji Ibrahim Segujja the owner of the building, the fire started when mother of the child whose identity was not readily available by press time left boiling water a gas cylinder and went to buy tea leaves at the nearby shop leaving the baby inside.
The gas cylinder burst into flames burning the baby and household items. The baby was rescued from the burning room by a good samaritan after sustaining burns and was rushed to Wanainchi Clinic in Masindi town.
Davis Barungi, one of the tenants and owner of MugonzebwaNakugonza Farm Supplies shop said people responded to the inferno.
The Masindi Fire and Rescue Brigade arrived when the fire had already been put out by a group of people who rushed to rescue lives
The Masindi District Police Commander SP Samuel Odong who also arrived at the scene said police received the information about the inferno through a phone call.
He said the baby was rushed to Kitara Medical Centre for treatment where he later died of severe burns.
Odong advised the public always to give the police right information for the force to act immediately.
Source: www.mknewslink.com a greater western Uganda news website